Thanksgiving Day Parade
November 27, 2014
Each year, 150 Scouts and adult Scouters are extended an invitation to march in the 6ABC Dunkin' Donuts Thanksgiving Day Parade. This is not only a great experience for our Scouting families, but allows our Scouting membership to be visible both to those who come out to watch the parade, but also to all of those in our area who watch it on 6ABC.
The Cradle of Liberty Council works with Philabundance, ACME Markets, and 6ABC to collect food items as part of the annual food drive during the parade, carry banners for all parade elements and march with the ACME float. Those marching along the 1.4 mile route will be assigned one of the above roles the morning of the parade.
In order to meet the requirments of our partners, as well as maintain a positive, uniform representation of Scouting, please plan to adhere to all the following rules:
1) You MUST register online to march in the parade. Do to capacities and other restrictions, this is a necessary step. Please only register the number of Scouts & Scouters that have made a commitment to attend, as we need actual numbers for planning purposes and cannot work with estimates. An email will go out to inform all those who are selected to march in the parade, with details for the event.
2) All those who march in the parade must be 10 years of age or older.
3) All Scouts should be accompanied by a parent or Unit Leader who will remain responsible for youth before, during and after the parade. Those adults in full uniform will be permitted to march with the Scouts, those not will be able to follow along the parade route.
4) All parties who will be in the parade will be send a 6ABC/Thanksgiving Day Parade Volunteer Agreement of Release. This must be signed by all youth and adults who are marching. All youth forms must also be signed by a parent or guardian.
5) All participants, youth and adult MUST be in full Scout Field Uniform (Class A) to march in the pareade. Those not in unform, will be invited to watch the parade, but will not be permitted to march. Full uniform for the parade includes:
- Long sleeve shirt or sweatshirt of the appropriate color (please wear under the unform as jackets cannot be worn). Boy Scouts wear red, Cub Scouts wear blue, Venturers wear Green, Sea Scouts wear color appropriate to their uniform.
- Scout pants
- Hat & gloves
- Hiking boots (no sneakers)
- Other appropriate attire for the weather: poncho (clear is preferred), etc
5) Do not bring any unit flags, as we march as one BSA. Do not bring any items inconsistent with BSA or parade policies.
6) If selected to march in the parade, meet the Scout personel no later than 7am at 20th and JFK Boulevard on Thanksgiving Day. All those marching will check in, receive a wrist band and their role for the parade. The parade will conclude just past the Art Museum, where Scouting units and families can meet up to dispurse.
To register online for this event, click here