For Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts and Sea Scouts, advancement is the process by which Scouts progress from rank to rank in the Scouting program. Venturing has a less structured recognition program. Advancement is simply a means to an end, not an end in itself. Everything done to advance and earn these ranks and recognitions should be designed to help the young person have an exciting and meaningful experience.
PDF Availalble here:Internet Advancement Announcement December 2015
Dear Scout Leaders:
The Cradle of Liberty Council is pleased to see that Internet Advancement is used by many units to record their youth member advancement from any online location.
The benefits of BSA Internet Advancement reporting include:
• Provides straightforward and direct method of reporting.
• Helps in local council verification of Eagle Scout Rank Applications.
• Records ranks, badges, and awards in accordance with BSA advancement rules.
• Consolidates data files to reduce or eliminate record gaps when Scouts transfer to new units.
• Supports national data analysis for advancement statistics.
• Assures advancement is counted in the Journey to Excellence.
Other benefits include:
• You may print a unit roster at any time.
• Print an advancement report, secure the proper signatures and use the report to purchase awards at the Scout Shop. Note that it is required that you bring a copy of your Advancement Report to the Scout Shop to allow for the purchase of your materials.
• You can also print previous Advancement Reports.
• Print an advancement summary for any or all members in your unit.
• Print Membership Cards for any member of your unit.
For a direct link, go to the Council Internet Advancement site at https://www.colbsa.org/internet-advancement/internet-advancement.html. The supported browsers are Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, and 11. Internet Advancement can be used in conjunction with several independent advancement programs and the newly provided BSA Scoutbook; or by direct entry of data into Internet Advancement.
With these benefits in mind, the Cradle of Liberty Council Advancement Committee has determined that beginning June 1, 2016; it will be council policy to require the use of Internet Advancement for all units to report their scouts' advancement.
For those units not already using Internet Advancement (i.e. those who use paper forms), the council will provide support through training provided by your district advancement committee, the council advancement committee and, when necessary, the commissioner staff. Please reference the Internet Advancement PowerPoint presentation found at http://www.scouting.org/advancement_presentations.aspx for basic assistance.
In closing I'd like to remind all units of the following:
• Units should submit advancement reports as needed, but anything not yet reported must be submitted before December 31 each year.
• If you have a scout earning advancement that is not listed on your Internet Advancement roster, then that scout needs to be registered, please turn in an application for the Scout. Once the Scout is registered, the unit coordinator will be able to update that individual's advancements online.
You can contact your District Executive to obtain the Unit ID used in Internet Advancement or contact Dianne Campman at 484-654-9214 or Diane.Campman@scouting.org.
Yours in Scouting,
Cradle of Liberty Council Advancement & Recognition Committee
Advancement News is the official e-letter of the Boy Scouts of America national Advancement Team and the national Advancement Committee. Its intent is to support and clarify procedures found in the Guide to Advancement, announce various changes and updates in advancement, and to assist advancement committees in making decisions that can help increase the rate of advancement
Advancement News is designed for council and district advancement chairs and their committees, unit advancement coordinators, advancement staff advisors, and Eagle processors. However, any Scouting volunteers or professionals who may find the News helpful are encouraged to subscribe.
|Council Committee Chair||Arland Hotchkiss|
|Vice Chair (Cub Scouts, Venturing)||Steve Leopold|
|Baden Powell||Nick Zollo|
|General Nash||Holly Hammond|
|Lifesaving and Heroism Awards||Bob Wetzel|
|Council Merit Badge Counselor Dean||Stephen Perrone|
|Internet Advancement||Sandy Polen|
|Scouts with Special Needs Chair||Nancy Ward|
|STEM Committe Liasion||Kevin McLemore|
|Council Boy Scout Rank Advancement Issues||John Heiple|
|Website and Training||Susan Best|
|Staff Advisor||Nick Nowak|